Sunday, November 9, 2008

Do blondes have more fun?

Do blondes really have more fun? Certainly, in Chicago, it would seem that Gentlemen Prefer Blondes - just look at all of the Sarah Siddons that Caro... Oh, sorry, wrong blog, but yes, Chicago IS a blond brick city, just look at all the examples of it, from the humble bungalow, to six flats, to courtyard buildings to Pei Ieoh Ming's rowhouse (or townhouses if you prefer) in Hyde Park with several hundred thousand tri-levels in between.
Blond brick is omnipresent, though it seems to be concentrated when it appears. Here is a yellowish tinge in Edgewater.
An early example in Ravenswood, with wonderful cornices.A more formal example along the north lakefront.A mid-rise example.

And since blondes have more fun, I'll leave you with some examples of fun blond brick entryways from the Farwell Avenue Corridor. I would say that certain gentlemen did prefer blond, the builders of these buildings, that is.
Cos' I'm a blond,yeah yeah yeah, don't you with you were me, b.l.a.n.d.e., oh I don't know.... I really shouldn't write these posts late at night...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The doorways are some of my favorite features in this city. What a great set of photos!

David said...

Thanks, Didi, yes, we do have a lot of great doorways here, don't we?

Kofi Bofah said...

Floating around the blogosphere.

I never even noticed the color of the bricks.

Indeed, there is a blog for everything!